Legal Question in Family Law in Missouri

In lieu of child support

My boyfriend has been found to be the father of a child by his ex-girlfriend. The state calculated that he should pay 1278.00 a month in child support. The mother of the child wants him to purchase a house in his name and pay 300.00 in child support. She would make the house payments. She is unable to get the loan herself. Could this be handled so that she could not change her mind later and sue him for back child support? This is her idea.

Asked on 5/30/03, 7:13 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael R. Nack Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law

Re: In lieu of child support

Please advise your boyfriend to consult with an attorney if he is not already being represented. With the attorney's help, he can be sure that the child support figure was properly calculated. Also, if there is any doubt as to paternity he should get legal advice on whether that issue has been finally determined. Finally, if other arrangements are to be made, as you suggest in your question, it is absolutely imperative that an attorney be consulted. Any agreement entered into between your boyfreind and his ex-girlfriend may not be legally enforceable. Time is crucial. If your boyfrined delays getting legal advice he may lose very important legal rights, and may lose a great deal of money. Please have him contact an attorney NOW !

Read more
Answered on 6/02/03, 12:50 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Missouri