Legal Question in Family Law in Missouri

Can a maternal grandmother living in Iowa get legal custody of her granddaughter (lives in Missouri) due to the mother not providing adequate living conditions and being in/out of jail for theft? The child's father is not involved and not listed on the birth certificate.

Asked on 10/04/13, 9:17 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Michael R. Nack Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law

We do have a statute that would allow for this. However, you will need to file the lawsuit in MO. If the mother and child live within any of the many jurisdictions where I practice regularly, I might be able to help you myself. I have handled several similar cases during the 35 years I have been practicing law. If the case is outside of my range, I might be able to help you find a good lawyer. Feel free to contact me directly.

Read more
Answered on 10/04/13, 4:10 pm

Mel Franke Mel G. Franke, Attorney at Law

If you can prove she is unfit and the father also, you can get custody. An easier approach is guardianship.

Read more
Answered on 10/07/13, 11:28 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Missouri