Legal Question in Family Law in Missouri

I am paying Child support on my 19 year old daughter. She lives with her mother and goes to College 1 day a week. She just had a baby and the babies father lives with them also.

Do I have any recourse on not paying her mother child support or do I have t contine wuth payments since she is technically attending college?

Asked on 8/07/11, 5:45 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Shelley Bishop The Law Office of Shelley L. Bishop

In Missouri a parent is obligated for child support for a child who has graduated from high school in several circumstances, to include the situation where the child has enrolled in a school of higher education by October 1st of the year of high school graduation. There are, however, requirements that must be fulfilled for the obligation to pay child support to continue, to include the obligation for the child to be enrolled in and complete 12 credit hours each semester unless they are employed at least 15 hours a week, in which case they must be enrolled in nine credit hours a semester. There are other requirements, obligations and exceptions to this rule and it is imperative that you consult a family law attorney in your area who can evaluate your particular circumstances.

This response is not to be contstrued as legal advice, but is intended to be educational in nature. The choice of an attorney is an important one and should not be made on the basis of advertisment alone.

Read more
Answered on 8/07/11, 11:42 pm
Michael R. Nack Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law

Shelley's response is right on the mark! From your question it would appear that you might be able to obtain a court order terminating your obligtion to pay child support for your daughter.

An attorney would need to know all of the facts before providing you with specific legal advice. If you are located in my area, I might be able to help you myself. Please feel free to contact me.

Read more
Answered on 8/08/11, 9:06 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Missouri