Legal Question in Health Care Law in Missouri

Hippa privacy law

My ex-husband's wife works at a eye surgery consultant office doing billing. She used my social security number (from divorce degree -17 years ago) and did a search using the doctor's provider number (that she works for). She got into my insurance information with no reasonable explaination. (no one under my insurance plan visited the doctor she works for - nor gave permission for her to get into my information) she has even went as far as to set up a user name and password - blocking me from my account. She sent me a copy through the mail of where she printed off all information on my health coverage including my life, dental, and medical. She tried to black out the internet site but you can see if you hold it up to the light that she did a search through the provider. She is also doing the same to both of my daughters and their insurances. What can be done about this - i can not afford a big attorney bill to protect my privacy.

Asked on 3/12/08, 4:03 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony DeWitt Bartimus, Frickleton Robertson & Gorny, PC

Re: Hippa privacy law

You need to contact the Office of Civil Rights in the Department of Justice. This is likely a criminal violation of the HIPPA statute and it appears to be done for malicious purposes.

You also have the right to contact the FBI and make a report to them. EIther way you need to preserve the documents you were sent as they may contain fingerprints, etc.

The woman's employer may also be liable for a failure to supervise their employee. I would urge you to contact a lawyer locally and have them investigate this matter. Most attorneys would talk to you for free, and you want one who will handle this on a contingent fee basis.

Good luck,

Read more
Answered on 3/12/08, 4:40 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Health Care Law questions and answers in Missouri