Legal Question in Immigration Law in Missouri

I'm in USA and I came here with a Tourist Visa, I'm a man and I married my boyfriend who is an American Citizen, we live in St. Louis Missouri and my Stay dues on November 24th, the thing is that I burned my hand with hot oil and my medical examination had to be delayed and I don't know if I'm gonna be able to send the forms before November 24th, will I have any problem? I came to the US in May 25th and we got married in IOWA in October 4th, I have everything they ask for, I just need the medical examinations... What happens if I don't send the forms before my stay dues?

thank you so much

Javier Seabaugh

Asked on 11/07/13, 2:31 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law

Hi Javier

As long as you had a lawful admission, are married to a U.S. citizen & the State you were married in allows same sex marriage, then you are fine. It doesn't matter when you file, however, you will start accruing illegal presence once your period of admission expires, so it's wise to file before you accrue 179 days of illegal presence (so you can travel, if necessary). You can also file without the meds & let USCIS send you a Request for Evidence, if you are really concerned about filing asap.

Read more
Answered on 11/07/13, 3:03 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Missouri