Legal Question in Employment Law in Missouri

I got hurt at work and the WC Dr. gave me restrictions can my boss is let me work without any restrictions.

Asked on 4/12/13, 3:22 pm

2 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Harvath Harvath Law Offices-INJURY case representation

Hi. I am a Missouri workers' compensation attorney that handles claims for people injured at work throughout most parts of the state. I am sorry to hear about your job injury.

The short answer is that, no, generally speaking, your employer needs to comply with the restrictions that the doctor has given you, or, in the alternative, indicate to you that they are not able to provide work duties that conform to the restrictions that you were given.

Under the Missouri workers' compensation statute, you are entitled to three types of benefits when you sustain a job injury. First, the employer must pay for all treatment that is necessary as a result of the injury. Secondly, they must compensate you for days that you were unable to work due to the injury. Finally, you are entitled to a lump sum amount of compensation for many types of injuries, particularly if the injury causes you to have on-going restrictions. Certain forms of injuries, particularly back injuries, can entitle you to significant compensation, routinely over $25,000, and, in some cases, far above this.

Workers' compensation attorneys have a sense of the amount of compensation that you are entitled to given the part of the body injured, your prognosis, and the types of restrictions you have. A workers' compensation attorney will often have you get a second opinion from an independent doctor that typically evaluates injured workers.

Additional information would be needed to determine the value of your claim, and also how to approach the situation where an employer does not comply with your restrictions. The type of injury and the nature of your restrictions are important to know. Also, it is important to know whether the WC doctor has released you, or is still treating you.

For convenience, I can be reached via e-mail at [email protected], or by phone weekdays and evenings.

Our website address is: Thanks.

Note: This answer is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice. The use of this site does not create an attorney-client privilege or relationship between the user and the attorney responding.

Read more
Answered on 4/13/13, 9:50 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in Missouri