Legal Question in Employment Law in Missouri

I work at imko in st.joseph mo and they sent me to a work place and i got injured. They said i would go back to that same work place but they filled my spot after 2 week. Can i file a law suit against them?

Asked on 11/19/13, 2:04 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Harvath Harvath Law Offices-INJURY case representation

Hi. I am sorry to hear about the difficult situation you have been placed in by your employer. I am a Missouri workers' compensation lawyer and also handle employment related issues as well.

Under Missouri law, it is possible to have a claim against an employer for what is called "retaliatory discharge". You can have a claim for retaliatory discharge if you can establish that an employer fired or laid you off simply as a consequence of you being hurt at work. An employer, generally speaking, needs to attempt to accomodate you, even if you have minor limitations due to an injury. A few more details would be necessary to determine what type of claim you may have, and the potential monetary value of any such claim.

Also, remember that, if your injury occured on the job, you are entitled to compensation. However, it is highly advisable to have an attorney assist with a claim for compensation, as the insurance company will not pay you on its own, and these claims are more complex than they appear.

For your convenience, I may be reached via e-mail at [email protected], or by phone at (314) 471-5585. Thanks.

This information is for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. The use of this site does not create an attorney-client privilege or agreement between the asker and the attorney responding.

Read more
Answered on 11/24/13, 8:20 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in Missouri