Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Missouri

Tenant filled out application for lease with incorrect name and signed lease with incorrect name. Can I invalidate the lease and ask her to move out?

Asked on 7/23/13, 11:52 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Smith LawSmith

You can always ask s tenant to vacate. If you demand or force a tenant to vacate, you might be in breach of the lease, and have to recompense the tenant fir their damages. You might be able to declare the lease void because of fraud, and not owe damages for demanding that the tenant vacate. Using a false identity in executing the lease, may be sufficient fraud, to allow a landlord to cancel the lease. But, use of an alas ( Lisa instead if Elizabeth) would probably not be deemed as fraud by a Court, sufficient to free a landlord from having to compensate the tenant. These things are determined by the details. You may wish to consult directly with a civil practice attorney, that can have access to more of the facts than you're able to provide here.

Good luck

Read more
Answered on 7/24/13, 4:18 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Missouri