Legal Question in Personal Injury in Missouri

I was in a hit and run accident August 24th, 2010. I would like to sue the other driver for the damages to my car because I only have liability insurance. But I cannot wait on a settlement because my car is leaking gas so I need a vehicle now. I would like to use it as a trade in for another vehicle. So, I want to know if I can still pursue a lawsuit with pictures and a police report without the car?

Asked on 9/08/10, 7:50 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Smith LawSmith

If you know the identity of the other driver, you may not have to wait long for recompense from their insurer. The property damage portion of a claim is often resolved quickly. It is the bodily injury that takes longer to settle. Get good pictures and a copy of the Police report, and any repair estimates you get. Make the claim against the other driver's insurance policy and give them an opportunity to examine the vehicle. You can trade it in now, but they may not honor your claim. If you are dead set on suing, then you definately would do better keeping the vehicle in your possession.

Good luck

Read more
Answered on 9/13/10, 3:02 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Missouri