Legal Question in Personal Injury in Missouri

I stayed at a motel that is operated under a franchise agreement with Super 8 Motels Inc. I sustained injuries while entering my room. The carpet, at the threshold of the door, was not secured and my foot became caught between the carpet/padding and the cement floor beneath it. I was carrying my luggage in at the time and was unable to stop myself from falling. I awoke the next morning with back and neck pain. This pain prevented me from enjoying our planned family outings. When I told the front desk about the problem, the only response I received was an eye roll. The entire room was in desperate need of repairs. I plan on filing a law suit to recover the money I paid for the room, the tickets that were purchased for the activities planned that I couldn't enjoy because of the back and neck pain and the doctor bills that I am going to incur now because of this fall. Do I sue the independent owner, the franchiser (Super 8 Motels, Inc) or both? Had the establishment shown an ounce of concern or even acknowledgement, I wouldn't be so quick to sue. However, tripping over the unsecured carpet was not the only problem in this room. The bathroom door looked as if it had water damage, the front and back panel were peeling away from the interior frame of the door, the bottom board of the door was no longer intact; it was dragging against the tile floor anytime the door was moved. This caused an issue because it pulled the floor mat away from the shower/tub. I stepped out of the shower, hit the tile floor with wet feet, and went sliding. I fell again, striking my shin on the toilet and my head on the door itself. Needless to say, this wasn't a very good family vacation! This motel was in Missouri and I live in Nebraska.

Asked on 8/07/13, 3:20 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Smith LawSmith

I suggest that you consult directly with a personal injury attorney. You may end up suing both entities.

Good luck

Read more
Answered on 8/07/13, 10:03 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Missouri