Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Missouri

i was living in Missouri with my ex girlfriend and her mother in her mother's house. i went to texas to visit my children for Christmas, who live with my ex-wife, and while i was there, my ex girlfriends mother told me i could no longer live January, she wrote me on myspace and told me that my belongings were "abandoned", and that she was going to charge me $100 a day storage. i owe her for wrecking her car months prior to all of this, which i have acknowledged and agreed to. my question is this.....can someone kick you out of thier house (i wasn't paying rent), and tell you that you cannot get your belongings?

Asked on 3/13/10, 2:29 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Smith LawSmith

If you have established residency, a person may not be evicted without court assistance. As tot eh belongins, the party in control of the premises, may not dispose of items of value without reasonable notice to the owner. You may have established residency to the extent taht you coudl nto just be kicked out. The mother's letter may have sufficed as adequate notice to remove your belongings before they are thrown out. If you wish to pursue this matter, you will need to consult directly with an attorney in your area, who has access to more of the facts of your particular situation. Many attorneys offer a free or low cost initial consulation.

Good luck

Read more
Answered on 3/19/10, 1:33 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Missouri