Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Missouri

Refusal to sign Quit Claim Deed

Due to my husband's arrest, I filed for divorce and was awarded all property, including our home. My ex-husband was convicted and is currently serving three 15 year sentences. He refuses to sign a quit claim deed on the house and the mortgage company (Chase Manhattan) tells me I can not sell the house, re-finance or remove his name from the mortgage without a signed quit claim deed. No matter what the court order states, you can not physically force someone to sign their name on a document. I am now remarried and this situation has been a major topic of 'discussion' between us. What can I do?

Asked on 9/27/01, 12:48 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael R. Nack Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law

Re: Refusal to sign Quit Claim Deed

I believe that Missouri law provides for a Court to legally transfer property whether or not a quit claim deed is signed by your ex-husband. I would need to conduct some preliminary research, but I may be able to offer some assistance to you. Please feel free to call me for a free telphone consultation if you are not already represented by legal counsel at 314-727-2822.

Read more
Answered on 11/08/01, 11:27 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Missouri