Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Missouri

My ex wife was awarded the house in our divorce. In the decree it states she has one year to refinance. Its been over a year and she never refinanced so my name is still on the loan and property deed. The house is now about to go into foreclosure unless I save it. She is $1500 behind on payments and has not paid taxes on the property for the last 2 years (approx. $800). She refuses to pay and is just going to let the foreclosure take place. She said I could have the house back but will not sign off on the deed unless I sign a contract that herself or someone is going to draw up that states she can live there until she finds a place to move to. I fear that if I go ahead and sign her contract she will not sign off on the deed and I'll be out a bunch of money that I am going to have to borrow in the first place. Also I need more money for rent than I'm sure she will be willing to pay so I can afford to pay the property taxes and insurance. I'm really at a loss as of what to do here and feel like she is blackmailing me. I could file contempt of court I'm sure and possibly be awarded the home but by that time the house will be foreclosed (4 days until foreclosure begins).

Asked on 10/11/13, 5:33 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Smith LawSmith

File the Motion for Contempt. Contact the lender's attorney. Try to negotiate for s little time. Get your own attorney to draft the agreement between you and your ex.

Good luck

Read more
Answered on 10/12/13, 6:50 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Missouri