Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Missouri

My husbands name is on a couple of his grandmothers bank accounts/stocks. His sleezeball uncle and father will try and take that money from him upon her death. She has a will set up with her husband, however she doesn't want the accounts with my husbands name on them to be a part of the will so her children are unaware of what shes giving my husband. What can I do today while she is of sound mind so that if they try and take that from him upon her death they won't be able too?

Asked on 6/10/13, 11:32 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Smith LawSmith

If she has a joint account with your husband, then her interest may evaporate at time of her death. That wound make the account (s) all his. If she doesn't own the account as a joint tenant with your husband, she can designate it as TOD your husband. This will instruct the bank to transfer the account to him when she dies. If she owns the account with him, the less savory method wound be fir him to take the money out of the account before she dies. He could move it to his own account.

Good luck

Read more
Answered on 6/12/13, 9:34 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Missouri