Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Missouri

My mother is deseased, will my step father get her inheritance or will I, her daughter?

Asked on 2/23/16, 8:37 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Smith LawSmith

I am sorry to hear of your Mother's passing. You have my condolences. The are things like, wills, trusts, statutory elections, etc. That could change the determination of who receives a decedent's assets. The general rule where a person dies, is that their estate would be divided 50/50 between their surviving spouse, and the child (ren) not of that spouse. .

You need to consult directly with a probate attorney in your area. Death can cause a breakdown of the relationship between a child and their stepparents. It's usually better to resolve those amicably. An attorney may be able to advise or assist you in negating disagreements, before they inflate. If you need assistance finding counsel, I suggest that you contact the Missouri Barr association, and/ or the probate clerk in the County where your mother lived. Ah fur names of attorneys that appear in that Court.

Good luck

Read more
Answered on 2/23/16, 11:09 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Missouri