Legal Question in Employment Law in Montana

I was fired yesterday. Today I still didn't get paid and finally wAs told the reason for termination of theft. But I haven't hAd charges filed against me. Is this wrongful termination and by them telling the current employees why they terminated me without proof deformation of character ? I didn't steal anything and this was my career, if rumor if this gets with other oil field companies no one is going to hire me again! And I was a field supervisor/ roustabout manager. They could ruin my whole life over this.

Asked on 5/30/14, 1:53 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Scott Peterson Morrison, Sherwood, Wilson, & Deola, PLLP

Could be if they did not have sufficient prove of theft. If your company gave or has sent you any paperwork about filing a grievance or appealing their decision, you need to act quickly.

Regardless of whether they were right or wrong to fire you, you are still owed any wages due you. If they don't, you may be able to recover not only your lost wages but an additional110% of your lost wages as penalty, plus receive your attorneys fees.

You need to quickly on the lost wage claim. You only have a 180 days to file a lawsuit. You have 1 year for the wrongful discharge claim.

Read more
Answered on 5/30/14, 2:15 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in Montana