Legal Question in Family Law in Nevada

is she entilteled to more monies than the ssd for my child she already gets

Asked on 1/10/10, 10:20 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Christopher Carr Carr Law Office

Your post is VERY limited on information, so I'll address child support in general. Basically, if a parent has primary custody (called the custodial parent), that parent is entitled to child support from the other parent (the non-custodial parent). The rate is 18% for one child, 25% for two children, 29% for three, etc. That is regardless of any other source of support for the child. In other words, if a parent had primary custody and married a millionaire, the other parent would still need to contribute their share under the law. If parents share JOINT physical custody the basically pay each other the support. For example, if dad's statutory support was $500 and moms was $400, they would split the difference and dad would pay $50 per month. It's often difficult for one parent to understand why he or she should pay support to the other when they both have the child the same amount of time. As a judge put it to my client just yesterday, "If you [dad] were a millionaire and mom made minimum wage, it would be unfair to the child to have a lavish room at one place and nothing at the other home." The main goal of the law and Court is just to give the child everything possible.

Read more
Answered on 1/16/10, 6:53 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Nevada