Legal Question in Business Law in Nevada

My parents corporation is in the mist of litigation and the lawyer just withdrew ..they were ordered to obtain and secure council by 6/7/18 but no luck any suggestions on how to get more time?

Asked on 5/30/18, 9:41 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Rick Williams Law Offices of Frederick D. (Rick) Williams, Chtd.

Your folks are really under the gun here! Since their corporation cannot represent itself in any Nevada court of law, it must have licensed legal counsel to make any appearance in its behalf - whether in person or on paper. Did the attorney file a formal withdrawal with the court, or just notify his/her client that the relationship is ended? I assume that if the court has instructed the principles of the corporation that they only have until 06/07/18 to retain counsel, that the withdrawal was formalized. Hence, they either come up with an attorney to represent the entity or suffer some consequences from the judge on the case.

Depending on which court the matter is before, one might try to send a personal communication to the judge's chambers that might be reviewed by the Administrative Assistant for that judge. In a very nice and respectful letter, your parents might state the dilemma they face, recount all the efforts they have made and the numbers of interviews they have conducted to try to find substitute counsel, and ask for additional time to be in compliance. Then, they REALLY need to hustle to find an attorney to take over the case and enable him/her sufficient time to get up to speed and figure out the next steps for the case.

This is an URGENT matter, and must be taken quite seriously!

Read more
Answered on 5/30/18, 1:10 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in Nevada