Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Nevada

Hello when I was living in a home I wrote a check to pay for my rent to my landlord expecting my school financial aid money to be depositing into my account that day but it didnt my landlord told me what happened and I told him that my school money should be pending in my account and to tray again and still said insufficient funds. So I told him well I cant do anything about that sorry for the confusion and eventually paid him. But now I had received a letter saying to pay for the check that I knew was bad that was not the case I eventually ended up paying him and staying in the residence for 3 more months after then and I even helped him clean the whole house out when I moved out and the landlord spoke nothing of it

Asked on 4/25/18, 12:30 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Rick Williams Law Offices of Frederick D. (Rick) Williams, Chtd.

If you paid your rent and do not owe him anything, you need to respond to the letter with whatever evidence you have of that occurring. If you wrote a check after the first one was denied (you say you "eventually paid him"), you need to show proof of that payment after the error, and demonstrate you do not owe for that payment.

Your final sentence is a bit confusing, though, and sounds like maybe you did not make further payments after the late one you caught up. If that is the case, maybe the demand is for some of that amount of arrears you never paid? Determine just what he is asking for and why before you try to defend yourself. If you continued to live there for months afterward, but did not pay, you probably owe money if you and he did not agree to other terms.

Read more
Answered on 5/23/18, 11:44 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Nevada