Legal Question in Family Law in Nevada

My 26 year old daughter yesterday wrote out a note giving me temporary custody until Christmas of her infant daughter, stating I could also take her out of state with me as I am leaving on an extended family vacation next week. She had it notarized and handed it to me when I went to pick up clothes and such for the baby. She also gave me her birth certificate, state insurance card and social security card.

She has 4 other kids as well from her ex husband and another previous relationship but I have taken care of the baby about 90% since her birth as her mother is mentally ill and has been since childhood and definitely unfit (the unfit part determined by me and almost everyone who knows her, but not legal system at this point). I have also provided all of her clothing, baby furniture and needs as she has no income except her 2 young sons SSI payments. The guy that she is in an on again off again relationship with, who lives in another state, has never seen the child and is not the child's father (although she told him he was until last month when I made her tell him the truth) told her she better get the baby back from me and since she is scared of him she is saying I forced her to sign it and she wants the child back. Will this letter she signed cover me to protect this child from her until I can get to court or leave the state. Thank you

Asked on 9/11/13, 4:25 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Courtney John Peter Lee, Ltd.

Short Answer: No. Longer Answer: You should consult with an attorney. There are too many issues in this fact pattern to give full and accurate legal advice in this forum.

Read more
Answered on 9/12/13, 4:24 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Nevada