Legal Question in Family Law in Nevada

Custody issues

I have a child support order formy 5yr. old. It was done when she was 1 yr. It states that I have de facto custody. I have allowed her father's family visitation. Her father has not been interested in any. He makes contact with her on holidays and her birhtday, but has not ever ''taken care'' of her. She sees him if he is around his family when she is there. Last March, we moved to Las Vegas, NV from KS. His direct contact with us has rarely been related to her: it has been to contact me. I feel that he is using his rights as her father to be involved in my life. He now wants to take custody of her. Can his rights be terminated without his consent? What do I need to do to ensure all matters are handled in NV? He payes $122.00 a month in child support, but only thru garnishment. He owes over $2000 in back child support and has never had insursnce as the order states. How can his support be raised nwo that he is employed?

Asked on 2/15/07, 1:13 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jeffrey Cogan Law Offices of Jeffrey A. Cogan, Chartered

Re: Custody issues

His child support can be raised but if he still lives in Kansas, it has to be done in Kansas. If he has moved from Kansas, you can do it here. You can terminate his rights but that would also have to be done in KS if he still lives there. Furthermore, since he is paying support, even through a garnishment, you would probably lose.

Read more
Answered on 2/15/07, 3:52 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Nevada