Legal Question in Family Law in Nevada

If a parent has been put on supervised visitation, is THAT parent allowed to take the child out of town, if he or she is accompanied by 1 of the 2 previously accepted supervisors?

Asked on 6/20/13, 7:35 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Roger Harada Law Office of Roger R. Harada

As a general rule, supervised visitation means just that: supervised. As long as there is no prohibition in the custodial order forbidding out-of-state/town travel or directing supervised visitation to only occur at a specific place, and the person appointed to supervise the visitation is okay with it and goes along, on its face there does not appear to be a problem here. All that said, it would probably be a good idea to inform the other party of your plans, and if the other party has previously expressed opposition to taking the child to the proposed out-of-town location, and the court has not spoken to that issue, then you might be creating problems acting on your own on this issue absent specific permission from the court. If your "out-of-town" is in reality "out-of-state," make sure you read your custodial order carefully.

Roger R. Harada, Esq.

475 S. Arlington Ave., Suite 1A

Reno, Nevada 89501

(775) 787-7200

Read more
Answered on 6/21/13, 10:34 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Nevada