Legal Question in Family Law in Nevada

Rights of father not on birth certificate

The father of my 2 year old is not on her birth certificate, what rights if any does he have? He does not pay child support and only comes to see her when its convenient for him. I am now married to another man and will be moving out of state(illinois). My 2 yr olds father knows of the move and does not care. What can I do to get his rights terminated and let my husband adopt her. My husband has raised her for the past year with no help from the biological father. I've asked the father of the 2 yr old if he'd sign over rights and he said no just to be vindictive.

Asked on 4/28/05, 6:21 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

James Smith James E. Smith Ltd.

Re: Rights of father not on birth certificate

In Nevada unmarried fathers have the same rights as married fathers. It is irrelevant if he is or is not on the birth certificate. I would suggest starting a termination of parental rights before you move. Otherwise you will have to be in Illinois for 6 months before Illinois would have jurisdiction over the matter.

Read more
Answered on 4/28/05, 6:37 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Nevada