Legal Question in Family Law in Nevada

I have been served- here in Oregon- from the state of Nevada for child support and medical to the tune of $355/mo. .....for the past 17.5 years. This totals nearly $75,000.00. I have 10 days to respond, have not yet taken paternity testing, and clearly need some legal advice, i.e., can Nevada go back that far? Can Oregon force me to take paternity? Can this be petitioned in Nevada? Any responses will be most appreciated, and feel free to contact me by phone, if you prefer. 503.724.8810



Asked on 11/20/13, 6:46 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Marshal Willick Willick Law Group

You need more assistance than can be provided by e-mail. Short version:

Do nothing monetarily until and unless paternity is established. Yes, one way or another, they can eventually get such testing ordered (depending on some facts that you have not made clear). Generally, a maximum of 4 years back support is possible under Nevada law. And if there is a suit here already, the first question will be the jurisdiction of the Nevada courts. See the resources below, and call if you wish to set up a phone consultation to go over the details and determine what you should do, and how.

Also look at the "Basics of Jurisdiction" materials posted on the child support page.

Read more
Answered on 11/20/13, 11:36 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Nevada