Legal Question in Personal Injury in Nevada

I was bitten by a cat at a home that we were feeding their pets. It became infected with cellulitis and I spent a total of 7 and a half days in the hospital over the course of a week and a half. I received antibiotics to take after I was released but they caused my throat to dry out and I couldn't swallow for 3 days. My part of the hospital bill is approximately $6000.00 of which I have paid about a third already. I filed a claim on the homeowners policy and they are wanting to settle. What would be fair?

Asked on 9/11/13, 6:43 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

John Courtney John Peter Lee, Ltd.

It would be fair if they were to pay you for all of your damages.

Read more
Answered on 9/12/13, 4:36 pm
Rick Williams Law Offices of Frederick D. (Rick) Williams, Chtd.

It really is not possible for us to answer your question based on this minimal information. A competent lawyer will ask what the total of all your medical bills is, how much work you missed, how your personal life was affected (sports and recreation, social activities, inability to do the things to which you are accustomed, etc.) and plenty of related "intangible" damages you have experienced. A clear picture of the emotional damages you have suffered must also be made before being able to counsel you on a valuation of your claim.

I highly recommend you consider retaining a competent personal injury lawyer to analyze your situation and come up with an educated estimation of a reasonable settlement amount. I can almost guarantee you that hiring a good attorney will yield a higher bottom line for you than your very best efforts at dealing with the insurance company on your own. Remember that they are in the business of paying as little as they can get away with, and a lawyer representing your interests works hard to maximize what they pay.

You need an advocate to help you through this.

Read more
Answered on 9/12/13, 7:13 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Nevada