Legal Question in Personal Injury in Nevada

I was involved in an auto accident in August 2010, where I had to slam on my breaks dur to someone cutting me off an the freeway and this casued another vehicle to hit me. The other party is suing me to pay for some of his medical bills.

I had Geico insurance at the time and they said that they will provide legal representation for me up to whatever coverage I had (100,000 bodily injury I guess), and they told me that I have the right to retain my own counsel for this issue to protect my assests...I haven't been served any paperwork yet, but I guess it's coming. What am I supposed to do?

Asked on 4/27/12, 4:26 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

David Otto David Otto & Affiliates, PC

If you have assets which you own in excess of $100,000 you may need to get a lawyer independent of your insurance defense lawyer. You should keep in contact with your insurance adjuster. If you are served with legal papers make sure your insurance claims department gets copies of them.

Read more
Answered on 4/27/12, 4:43 pm
John Courtney John Peter Lee, Ltd.

You should consult with an attorney, especially if you have significant assets. Contact the Nevada State Bar (382-2200) and they will refer you to an attorney who regularly practices in personal injury defense at a discounted consultation rate ($45.00).

Read more
Answered on 4/30/12, 12:01 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Nevada