Legal Question in Traffic Law in Nevada

I have recently been informed that I have a bench warrent due to a un-paid traffic ticket- this was in a town in Nevada that I have never been before, and by the way this was in 1999!!! I had them send me a copy of the ticket and it was for no insurance nor registration and also no valid drivers license!! it was NOT my signature on the ticket, but they say I have a bench warrent! I have called them several times to tell them this was not me! how can they randomly give a person a ticket that dont belong to them? and what should I do? Thanks for you time.

Asked on 11/16/09, 3:18 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

James Smith James E. Smith Ltd.

Unfortunately, you may need to hire an attorney to file a motion to quash this warrant and provide the Court with proof that this is not you or that a mistake has been made. Otherwise you will remain subject to arrest in Nevada as there is no statute of limitations on warrants. If the matter is disputed you may need to appear in court or provide a handwriting exemplar or handwriting expert to state that it's not your signature on the citation. This could possibly be identity theft but the town does not know this.

Read more
Answered on 11/23/09, 8:38 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in Nevada