Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Nevada

I was suppose to be the executor of my dads will and the person who was second on the will never notified me.

Do i have any legal rights

Asked on 11/14/12, 3:32 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Rick Williams Law Offices of Frederick D. (Rick) Williams, Chtd.

It depends. If a probate was already opened, completed and closed, it is probably too late for you to step in and perform the duties that may have been done by someone else. If you were a named beneficiary of the estate and did not receive what your dad left to you, then you do still have a right to contest the result of the probate. If a probate was NOT opened, you have the legal obligation to go forward with that action to perform your job as the named personal representative (executor) of the estate. This begins with lodging the will with the County Court Clerk where Dad was a resident at the time of his death, then composing and filing a petition for probate if the value of the estate exceeded $20k.

You really need a capable Nevada attorney to review the facts of your matter and advise you on what must be done to get it all resolved. This is especially true if the other person did not do his/her duty in representing the estate and there are remaining issues of property distribution or other legal rights that have been disregarded.

Read more
Answered on 12/04/12, 10:33 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Nevada