Legal Question in Family Law in New Hampshire

My daughter is 16 years of age and though she lives with her mom, (her mom was awarded primary custody last year) she wants to live with me. can she just pick up and leave her mom to come live with me and what would the legal ramification be, down the road for me? Thank you

Asked on 9/08/12, 3:00 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Bruce L. Dorner Dorner Law Office

The court has issued an order that says your daughter stays with her Mom. You need to get the court to change that order. I'll also venture a guess that there will be an issue of child support to be discussed. In many cases, if you and your ex-wife agree to the change in custody, you can file it as a joint request with the court and avoid a hearing.

There are times where kids like to stay with the more flexible / liberal parent, rather than the one that is the better disciplinarian. In cases like you present, it is generally best to have a family meeting to discuss what would be the best place for your daughter given all of the family issues and her needs.

Read more
Answered on 9/10/12, 6:43 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Hampshire