Legal Question in Family Law in New Hampshire

I live in NH, got divorced 10 years ago and was granted $800/month in child support for our 7 and 4 yr olds. I always made more money than my ex so I never "forced" him to pay a set monthly amount but rather he contributed to daycare expenses, large healthcare costs and yearly incidentals like back to school, etc. To say he didn't contribute would be untrue but I took on the majority of the financial burden, especially when he remarried 2 years ago and moved further away. Our kids are 17 and 14 and now the discussions have turned to college tuition and he's implying he doesn't have much to contribute. Is it too late to exercise my legal rights to collect the $800 monthly child support? If so, can I legally make him contribute toward college expenses too or would the support payments automatically cease at age 18?

Asked on 10/07/13, 6:54 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

James Hall Qua, Hall, Harvey & Walsh

It is not to late to enforce the judgment. Although it may depend on what the judgment states, ex likely won't have to pay tuition. Please contact me if you have any questions. From the facts you relayed, there does not appear to be a downside to pursuing enforcement of the judgment.

Read more
Answered on 10/08/13, 6:23 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Hampshire