Legal Question in Intellectual Property in New Hampshire

I would like to license a patent I have pending under my personal name to my SMLLC so that I can begin manufacturing and producing the product. What is required of a license agreement in regard to compensation? For example, could I license the product to my SMLLC for free, but later pay myself via an owners draw? Thank you!

Asked on 6/07/21, 12:56 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Lawrence Graves Coolidge & Graves PLLC

You should consult with your CPA to determine the best tax strategy for this -- assuming that you are on both sides of the transaction, you have wide latitude on the terms. From the legal side, you can charge a de minimis royalty or up to the full market rate, and the royalty can be contingent on such things as the overall profitability of the LLC.

Best wishes,


Read more
Answered on 6/07/21, 1:03 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Intellectual Property questions and answers in New Hampshire