Legal Question in Tax Law in New Hampshire


my son owes $60,000 in past IRS taxes. He needs to pay it by oct 29,2007. What can he do to stay out of jail?? no way he can come up with that much money.

Asked on 9/11/07, 7:46 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Burton Haynes Burton J. Haynes, P.C.

Re: taxes

The IRS doesn't put people in jail simply for owing money. He needs to work with the IRS by providing full and complete financial information, and the IRS will work with him in establishing a monthly payment plan based on his ability to pay, determined by an evaluation of his income and his monthly living expenses.

Read more
Answered on 9/11/07, 10:18 pm
Ronald Cappuccio Ronald J. Cappuccio, J.D., LL.M.(Tax)

Re: taxes

Owing taxes to the IRS is not criminal. Therefore, the IRS cannot put your son in jail just because he owes money to the IRS. The best thing your son could do is to immediately hire a tax attorney to negotiate with the IRS. Rather than your son speaking with the government, the tax attorney will represent him.

I have a lot of information on my web site:

I hope this helps!

Ron Cappuccio

Read more
Answered on 9/11/07, 11:07 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in New Hampshire