Legal Question in Civil Litigation in New Jersey

court reply letter

I have to send a reply letter back to the court and since I cannot afford a lawyer they said I can do it my self is there a form or do I just write a letter andpay the fee which they are asking

Asked on 2/08/06, 6:27 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Richard West The Law Office of Richard A. West, LLC

Re: court reply letter

You may want to look at the website for the NJ Judiciary, they have information on representing yourself in court, especially if the matter is in Special Civil Part, go to, then click into the section for judiciary. That should be of assistance.

Read more
Answered on 2/08/06, 6:45 pm
John Corbett Corbett Law Firm LLC

Re: court reply letter

Mr. West gave you some good advise to which I will add.

Your question concerns me because you did not say what the dispute involves, but you did ask the question under the category of civil litigation. In that environment, there may or may not be a "form" that is customary. Although the courts will usually tolerate less formality on the part of pro se litigants, the judge cannot ignore the law. I have had several occasions where I have been called on to pick up the pieces for people who had filed a pro se answer to a Complaint that did not provide the information that the Rules of Court require of an Answer. If you need to file an Answer and you send a letter that is deficient, the court has no choice but to grant a default to the complaining party.

As an alternative, I suggest that you contact your county bar association's lawyer referral service. You can find the number in the telephone book. They can refer you to a lawyer who has agreed to give you an initial consultation for a very reasonable fee. Let that lawyer advise you on whether pro se representation is good for you.

Read more
Answered on 2/09/06, 12:11 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in New Jersey