Legal Question in Business Law in New Jersey

I have done 2 fundraisers that have failed due to high overhead costs and poor attendace. The charities are claiming fraud.I am a single mom of 3 kids and do not have the money to obtain an attorney. I have bank statements, cancelled checks and reciepts. Is that enough??

Asked on 8/13/13, 11:16 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Frank Natoli Natoli-Lapin, LLC

Saying it doesn't make it so. So long as you can show what came in and what went out you should not have any fear of a criminal action.

This does not mean that they cannot come after you civilly. But of course they need a cause of action and you would have to be in breach of your agreement on some actionable level or would have to had committed a tort of some kind.

If, for example, you held a FR and part of the agreement was that you were to be paid X dollars for your time and effort counted among the overall expenses then even though you were paid and no money was left over this does not make you a fraudster, assuming you actually did the work to justify your compensation.

Obviously the facts matter. If you would like to discuss further over a free phone consult, feel free to contact me anytime that is convenient.

Kind regards,



[email protected]

DISCLAIMER: this is not intended to be specific legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. No attorney-client relationship is formed on the basis of this posting.

Read more
Answered on 8/29/13, 9:46 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in New Jersey