Legal Question in Criminal Law in New Jersey

My son was visiting friends over the weekend. Belleville NJ. someone was trying to break into the apartment,he ran out to catch them from behind. Neighbors called police. Stopped my son, said he was visiting. Friends were not home at the moment. He was arrested, don't know charges. Friends went to vouch he was their guests. Bail at 20,000.00, 10 percent 2030.00 he is from Rockaway,nj. Why is bail so high. Don't know if he had a joint on him. Cops won't tell me charges, can't talk to him, I tried. Thank you Joan Sweet

Asked on 3/17/13, 11:59 am

4 Answers from Attorneys

Jef Henninger, Esq Law Offices of Jef Henninger, Esq.

I've dealt with this police department many times. This is par for the course. An attorney can go see him ASAP and work to get him out of jail. We'd be happy to help. Call me anytime at 732/773/2768 to discuss. I have an office in Clifton.

Read more
Answered on 3/17/13, 12:04 pm
Gary Moore Gary Moore Attorney At Law

Making head or tail or a child's version of what hapened can be very trying for a parent. Is he telling you the WHOLE TRUTH? You can not be certain. All you can do is support him and get to the bottom of things. Oh, and he needs a decent lawyer. I am quite decent.

Read more
Answered on 3/17/13, 12:13 pm
Daniel Levy Raff & Raff, LLP

That bail amount is not a very high bail, believe it or not. This tells me that they are probably charging him with some kind of 3rd degree crime. The fact that a 10% option was granted tells me that the police are probably not trying to throw the book at him. However, your son is charged with at least 1 felony and this needs to be taken very seriously. A skilled criminal defense attorney could review the evidence and provide good advice on how best to proceed. The police and prosecutor are not going to just listen to your son's version and drop all of the charges. You should contact an attorney as soon as possible since the earlier that an attorney begins working on the case, the quicker and more effective he can usually be.

Please give me a call for a 100% free consultation: 973-742-1917.

Read more
Answered on 3/17/13, 12:40 pm
Ronald Aronds Law Office of Ronald Aronds, LLC

I don't know what he is charged with either. I am an experienced criminal defense attorney however and can easily find out all the basic information regarding your son's case. Please call me to discuss this case in more detail and to see how I can possibly assist you. Thank you.

Sincerely yours, -Ronald Aronds, Esq.- (908) 272-0111

Read more
Answered on 3/17/13, 2:35 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in New Jersey