Legal Question in Family Law in New Jersey

Hello. If a couple isn't married but they have a child together, is it mandatory for the father to pay child support? This is in the state of New Jersey. Furthermore, what steps can a mother take to legally 'make' the father pay child support? Thanks.

Asked on 7/15/13, 12:11 pm

4 Answers from Attorneys

Robert Davies The Davies Law Firm, P.A.

You need a lawyer to sit down with you and give you some advice.

I can explain things in detail in person after we talk. I will explain what legal issues I see, and what I can do to assist you.

This will be a free consultation. After we talk, you can decide what you would like to do.

Give me a call, make an appointment to come see me, and let's get moving on this for you. No charge for the telephone call and no charge for the first office visit.

Robert Davies, Esq. 201-820-3460

The Davies Law Firm, P.A.

45 Essex Street, Suite 3 West

Hackensack New Jersey 07601

Phone: 201-820-3459

Fax: 201-820-3461

Email: [email protected]



Please keep in mind that my response is just a general comment on your question, and not legal advice. I have answered based upon the law of the State of New Jersey where I practice; the laws in other states may be very different, and may result in very different outcomes. Your question and any response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship between you and this law firm. The exact details of your situation and things that you have not mentioned in your question can completely change the response I gave. You can not rely upon what I have written as legal advice, because I do not have all of the information that I need to advise you, I only have the very small amount of information that you put into your question. To get legal advice that you can rely on and use, please contact me directly.

Read more
Answered on 7/15/13, 12:16 pm

Robert Gleaner Robert A. Gleaner, P.C.

Supporting the child is the obligation of both parents, married or not. You should make an immediate application to the Family Court in your county requesting a child support order for your child.

Keep in mind that this advice is based purely on the little bit of information that you have given to me. There certainly may be other factors that would change my opinion. Further, no one can rely on advice from an attorney who has not been retained. Since it appears that you have not retained an attorney, you should contact a family law attorney to discuss your matter in more detail. Only then will you be able to rely on the advice. Good luck! Rob Gleaner

Read more
Answered on 7/15/13, 12:19 pm
Larry Raiken Larry S Raiken LLC

You should consult with an attorney before doing anything. whether you are the father or the mother specific legal advice applies to both of you.

Read more
Answered on 7/15/13, 12:39 pm
Jef Henninger, Esq Law Offices of Jef Henninger, Esq.

Yes. Check out njchildsupportattorney (dot)com

Read more
Answered on 7/16/13, 8:43 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Jersey