Legal Question in Family Law in New Jersey

Engagement Ring

My girlfriend and I broke up over four months ago. She told me she would return my engagement ring, but has since said she will not return the ring, unless I pay for her dress. I lost approxiamtely $5,000 dollars in deposits, so I sure don;t plan on paying for her dress.

I have reviewed prcedence on this issue and it is clear she must return the ring. Unfortuantely I will need to move this into small claims court and have two questions in regards to this:

1. She lives in New Jersey and I in Connecticut. Which state should the case be prosecuted in?

2. She has moved and I do not know where she lives, but I do have her work address. If the case needs to be held in a New Jersey court, how do I knwo which town to file in?

Additionally, if I should require a layers assitance, can you make a recommendation?

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

Asked on 9/02/02, 8:22 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Bruce Matez Gerstein Grayson, LLP

Re: Engagement Ring

Thank you for your e-mail inquiry. You need to file suit in NJ in the county in which your girlfriend currently resides. Our firm has attorneys that could help you in the counties of Atlantic, Burlington, Camden and Gloucester. For other counties, check out Martindale-Hubbell for attorney referrals. Good luck to you. K. Scheiner (856) 795-6700

Read more
Answered on 9/03/02, 12:01 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Jersey