Legal Question in Family Law in New Jersey


I was divorced in FL. I now reside in NJ and my EX in TX. What state would be the venue for contempt proceedings against her ? BTW I am the custodial parent .

I've tried to keep this brief as possible. let me know if you need more info


Asked on 10/01/13, 11:11 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Robert Gleaner Robert A. Gleaner, P.C.

It really depends on contempt of what issue. If it involves the child, it would likely be best to file in the state where the child lives, which appears to be NJ. If you are just trying to collect money, it might be best to file in TX. However, I cannot be certain that this is correct without knowing more details. To begin to get the answers, you should meet with a family law attorney who practices in the county where you live and discuss the matter in full detail. Best of luck! Rob Gleaner

Read more
Answered on 10/01/13, 11:21 am

Robert Davies The Davies Law Firm, P.A.

I have read what Rob Gleaner wrote and he is pretty much correct.

If you are in the northern part of New Jersey, call me and come see me. I am in Hackensack, and I handle matters in Sussex, Morris, Essex, Passaic, Bergen, Hudson, Union, Middlesex, Warren and Somerset counties.

Robert Davies, Esq.

201 820 3460

Read more
Answered on 10/01/13, 11:24 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Jersey