Legal Question in Family Law in New Jersey

Hello, I would love some input on my current situation as I am very confused if this is even possible.

I moved to NJ from Florida little over 6 years ago for the guy I was dating at the time which is now my daughters father. Our original plan was to stay for 1 year and then move back to Florida, which never happened. When our daughter was 1 we split up. Our schedule with her has been mostly 50-50. I am currently engaged and my fiancť lives in Atlanta. He has an extremely successful business there and we are expecting a child. I want to move to Atlanta with my daughter but I donít know what a NJ court would say about that. My daughters dad loves drama and will probably fight me tooth and nail for this not to happen. I have no family here in NJ and he had all his family here. All my family is in Florida and I have given up my life basically to be here in a place I donít like just for the sake of my daughter. Now that Iím engaged and have a new baby on the way I want to move to Atlanta and start my life and my family. I have been told that it is very hard in NJ to move out of state unless the other parent is substantially and unfit parent. Any advice or input would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Asked on 11/08/12, 9:00 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Jef Henninger, Esq Law Offices of Jef Henninger, Esq.

Its not as hard as you make it sound, but there are a number of issues you need to cover. We could help you. Its called a motion for removal. Call me at 732/773/2768 to discuss

Read more
Answered on 11/08/12, 9:03 am


Talk to an experienced lawyer, not gossipy friends....

Call me at 215-732-4000 to discuss.....It is not as terrible as you think....

I practice in NJ and PA.....This sounds like Camden problem.... is web site....

Sounds like you have a bright future in the making... would love to help make that happen

Kind regards,


Read more
Answered on 11/08/12, 9:34 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Jersey