Legal Question in Family Law in New Jersey

I had been receiving child support for my two children in college at $295 per week. The order was put in place last June and child support was calculated using the guidelines but then lowering it by 35%, then taking our income shares. One of our children was just emancipated and our motion went through a brand new judge. She imputed my income (as always the case) and requested my ex's financials to recalculate childe support. This all took from April 9th (date of the hearing on papers) to August 15th (the date I received the child support number.

The judge sent a letter stating that child support would now be $100 per week. There was no explanation as to how it was calculated. My ex earns $89,000 per year and I was imputed at $33,000. I called the clerk and he said that she just cut if in half since before it was for two children and now only one. The funny thing is is that in my ex's certification he stated he was willing to pay $136 per week.

Can I ask for a reconsideration? Why would the judge cut it in half when all I've read regarding child support is that it does not cut in half when one child is emancipated? I'm not sure if it is worth it to do anything, but I have another two years of supporting my son while he's in college.


Asked on 8/18/13, 4:06 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Jef Henninger, Esq Law Offices of Jef Henninger, Esq.

Call me to discuss at 732/773/2768

Read more
Answered on 8/18/13, 1:10 pm

Robert Davies The Davies Law Firm, P.A.

this just seems wrong, based on what you have said.

I am in Bergen County, but I will help you if you wish.

Robert Davies, Esq.

201 820 3460

Read more
Answered on 8/19/13, 8:39 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Jersey