Legal Question in Family Law in New Jersey

Reversing or Undoing an Adoption

I was adopted at about one by my mother's second husband. He abandoned us several years later. I have grown up with his name. He never fathered any male children so I carrying on his family name and I don't want to. I would like to find a way to regain my ''birthright''. I have met my natural father and he is not against this. I can also locate my adopted father (although) I have not been in touch with him in over 25 years at all, and I don't believe he would oppose this. Is there any legal way to get this accomplished. How about if my natural father adopted me? I am 47. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Asked on 4/22/05, 1:12 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Fran Brochstein Attorney & Mediator

Re: Reversing or Undoing an Adoption

You are an adult and can do a name change.

Since you are an adult, you can be adopted by anyone you want without contacting your "father."

Best of luck,

Fran Brochstein

Read more
Answered on 4/22/05, 3:37 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Jersey