Legal Question in Civil Litigation in New Jersey

if a parent is home and aware of alcohol being drank in his home by under age teens, are they liable? Can they be sued by a parent of one of the teens ? and what for???

Asked on 11/29/10, 6:53 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Adam L. Rothenberg Levinson Axelrod, P.C.

Liability for underage drinking is a serious issue. Ther is both potential and civil liability when an adult allows underage drinking in their home. In response to the question, that answer is that it depends.

When a civil suit is brought, it is for damages, unless there is an intentional attempt to harm. If your child is not harmed, then there is no damages. No damages, no suit. On the other hand, if the child or someone else is injured as a result, then liability is virtually assured.

Please feel free to contact me at 800-34 NJ LAW if you want to discuss

Read more
Answered on 12/04/10, 8:31 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in New Jersey