Legal Question in Health Care Law in New Jersey

permanent disability benefits

How do I find what benefits I may be open to should I have a permanent disability ?

Thank you

Asked on 9/15/04, 8:41 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Alan Albin Alan S. Albin, Attorney at Law

Re: permanent disability benefits

The answer depends on the nature of the disability and to whom you are applying for disability payments. For example, if you want to apply for Social Security disability payments, you would have to file with the Social Security Administration. If you are employed privately with a company that provides disability benefits, or for example publicly (e.g. with the fire department of a municipality), you may be entitled to a disability pension or other benefits. You would need to file for disability with your employer. If you are a union member, you need to check with your union representative/shop steward. If you are seeking disability benefits from an insurance policy, you would need to comply with the requirements of your insurance policy to seek disability benefits. If you were injured on the job, you might be entitled to workers' compensation payments. If you were injured due to someone else's negligence, you might have a civil claim against those responsible for your injuries.

All these questions are complex, and you need to consult with an attorney with whom you can discuss the specific facts of your case.

I strongly recommend that you consult with an attorney immediately so that you can explore your legal rights, obligations, and options. If you wish to discuss retaining my services, contact me at:

[email protected]


[Disclaimer: The above comments are not intended as nor should they be relied upon as "legal advice", which can only be obtained by personal consultation with a retained attorney; at which time the specific facts and circumstances of your case can be thoroughly evaluated. This reply is provided for general informational and educational purposes only, and does not create an attorney-client relationship with the responding attorney.]

Read more
Answered on 9/16/04, 8:18 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Health Care Law questions and answers in New Jersey