Legal Question in Immigration Law in New Jersey

I have a Green Card (resident of New Jersey) but I am currently in the UK for work (on a work assignment from the US). I have been in the UK for about 2 weeks and will be here for another 2 weeks before returning to the US. I, however, just realized that my Green Card had expired about 6 months ago and never noticed it until now. My question are: (1). Will I have any difficulty re-entering the US in 2 weeks (I am a citizen of Japan and have my Japanese passport with me so I think I qualify for visa-free entry)? (2). Will I have any difficulty renewing my Green Card once I'm back in the US? Thank you in advance for your response.

Asked on 11/16/13, 11:08 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Bill Klein Law Office of Bill Travis Klein

You might try talking to the U.S. Embassy in the UK about filing a application to renew your green card before traveling back to the U.S. which may avoid the problems you will face when you re-enter the U.S.

You will need to bring proof of where you have been permanently (domicile) living with you to the Embassy and Customs when you re-enter the U.S.

Do not attempt to enter the U.S. on a the passport waiver program to avoid problems because this will make the situation even worst.

Consult with an immigration attorney to help you with the process before acting on this information.

Read more
Answered on 11/17/13, 6:01 am

Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law

You will have difficulty entering the U.S, with an expired greencard & you should contact the U.S. Embassy immediately about getting it extended before you attempt to return.

Read more
Answered on 11/17/13, 1:20 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in New Jersey