Legal Question in Immigration Law in New Jersey


Residing in NJ on a L1B visa, can I apply for jobs with the companies, and then change have it changed to H1B? Are there any problems / complications with this?

Thank you for your answer.


Asked on 2/09/11, 11:24 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Charles Medina Law Office of Charles Medina

You can apply for change of status from L-1B to H-1B, if you meet the H-1B requirments. We suggest you to consult with an immigration attorney.

You may visit our website at Our telephone number is 714-786-6835 and email is Thank you.

The above reply is for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Read more
Answered on 2/09/11, 11:38 am
Ajay Arora Ajay K. Arora, Attorney-at-Law, P.C.


A company can file H1B petition for you. Upon approval, you will be granted change of status to H1B. However, there is a visa cap in effect:

Therefore, the earliest that the H1B petition can be filed is April 01, 2011. Good luck in finding an employer offering employment and willing to file an H1B petition.

Read more
Answered on 2/09/11, 11:39 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in New Jersey