Legal Question in Insurance Law in New Jersey

Car Accident

I was rear-ended in a minor car accident last month. I reported it to my insurance company. I have collision. The repairs are just under $500 (my deductible is $500). My carrier told me they weren't covering it because it was below the deductible. I asked if they were going to put a claim in against the other driver's company since she was at fault. They responded that since they (my insurance co) were not "out any money" they had no interest in going after the other company. I was under the impression that if I had collision, my company had to do this for me. What exactly happens now? Thanks.

Asked on 9/23/99, 11:34 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Kevin Begley Kevin J. Begley - Attorney at Law

Re: Car Accident

The insurance company is being straight with you (perhaps you should write this day down in your diary - it's historic). This is a minor accident. It is not cost effective for them to sue, but if you wish, YOU can. If you thnik you can win, file in Special Civil Small Claims Division. It costs $25 to file. Have fun...

Read more
Answered on 9/24/99, 12:06 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Insurance Law questions and answers in New Jersey