Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in New Jersey

Breaking a lease because of job

I am leaving the state because of job transfer. Can I break my lease without paying the balance.

Asked on 9/02/04, 11:25 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Ms. Tran Lankford Tran Lankford, Attorney at Law


If you are a Military personnel, you might be able to break a lease if you have Military documentation of such a move, and not have to pay the remaining balance. On the other hand, if you are a civilian, you need to examine your lease agreement because such agreement controls if there is a penalty for breaking the lease. You can always try to see if the landlord will let you out earlier without paying the balance. In that case, make sure you confirm it in writing. Because this is a contractual matter, the lease will control; and you may have to pay the balance in accordance with the lease terms. I recommend you contact an attorney and allow the attorney to examine the lease.

Read more
Answered on 9/03/04, 2:02 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in New Jersey