Legal Question in Personal Injury in New Jersey

There was a fire in a building I owned in my personal name,the building was totally destroyed , people died including children and 1 adult .the fire started in the adjacent vacant building. i had no building voilations and it was inspected and passed NJ state inspection few months ago and section 8 inspection for one of the apt in the building 1 month ago.The fire department could not control the fire because when they arrive ,their was no water pressure in the hydrant in front of both buildings.although I took every thing possible to protect my tenants (fire alarms and carbon monoxide detectors were working and fire passage was open)and according to the fire department fire alarms were working and they do not understand why the people could not get out.

If I still get sued by the surviving tenants and their relatives, what could be the worst penalty in the law .

Asked on 8/12/12, 2:24 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

John Ducey Law Offices of John G. Ducey, PC

Your insurance will cover you if you are sued. They will also provide you with an attorney.

John Ducey


Read more
Answered on 8/12/12, 6:14 pm
Barry Kozyra Kozyra & Hartz, LLC

Unfortunately, the damages could be quite substantial and may exceed your insurance coverage (the carrier should provide you with a defense but there may not be enough to pay all losses).

You should consult with an attorney ASAP. We have a number of lawyers here who could assist you. Please call for an appointment if you are interested.

Disclaimer: Your question and any response given are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The response given is not intended to be relied upon by you or anyone else as it is based only on the limited information which you have provided. Other information is needed before advice can be given including facts which you have not supplied which may change the response to your question. You should consult with an attorney as soon as possible to assess your legal rights so as not to prejudice yourself.

Read more
Answered on 8/13/12, 6:08 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in New Jersey