Legal Question in Real Estate Law in New Jersey


My family owns a 2 family home in Carteret, NJ and the Carteret Redevelopment Agency is threatening us with eminent domain. The block is considered blighted because of an unoccupied veterinarian office and bar behind our home on the other side of the lot. They have already made redevelopment plans for the block and is undervaluing our home. We cannot find another 2 family home in the area for the compensation considered "fair market value". We are willing to move but we need at least enough compensation to acquire another income generating property. What strategies could a landowner use to represent themselves in court and increase the compensation that they've considered fair?

Thank you.

Asked on 10/24/13, 7:26 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Robert Davies The Davies Law Firm, P.A.

Clearly, you need to fight them on the valuation. You may also be able to do more, to talk to the City about the redevelopment project.

A smart lawyer will help a lot. Give me a call, and we can get started,

Robert Davies, Attorney

201 820 3460

Read more
Answered on 10/24/13, 10:04 am

John Corbett Corbett Law Firm LLC

A good rule of thumb is that you should only represent yourself in court if you can afford to lose the case. Few people can afford to lose a case like yours. Assuming that you are not an exception, I would advise that you invest in the services of an experienced land use lawyer in your area.

See also:

Read more
Answered on 10/24/13, 7:28 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in New Jersey