Legal Question in Real Estate Law in New Jersey

Good day,

I am one of the remainder beneficiaries of a life estate deed for my parent's house.

My mother is still alive and she is the life tenant of the house.

My question is: Can I transfer now my future ownership of my share of the house to my son? Can I do it with quit deed?

I basically would like my son to be the remainder beneficiary instead of me.

Asked on 3/25/18, 10:37 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Corbett Corbett Law Firm LLC

You can probably do it but it is impossible to tell for sure without more information. If your interest is a vested remainder meaning that it is not subject to a future condition and there are no conflicting family agreements, then you can transfer the remainder interest. If it is a contingent remainder or if there are contract restrictions, the situation may change. Contact an lawyer near you for a review of the documents.

See also:

Read more
Answered on 3/28/18, 1:33 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in New Jersey